Saturday, August 18, 2012

Cashew fruit

cashew nut in the center

Cashews (orange), passion fruit (yellow), and limes (green)


Caipirinha de Caju
Frequently I try to explain to people that the cashew nuts we love come from a fruit. It is the pit of the fruit; but this pit is outside like you can see in these photos above. The fruit itself makes a delicious juice; but I have to admit that it is an acquired taste. It is very strong and pungent.
The fruit can be from a yellow to a fire engine red in color. It is gorgeous in my eyes.
Growing up in Brazil, I frequently climbed the cashew tree that we had in the back yard. Great memories from climbing that tree! sigh!
My favorite drink from this fruit is a "caipirinha" made with the juice and meat of the fruit with added sugar, ice; and the very alcoholic Brazilian rum, called "Cachaça" or "aguardente."
See the black can on photos 2 and 3. It is one of the brands available in Brazil.
But back to the pit, this nut has to be processed before one can eat it. It is poisonous as pictured above. So don't go on trying it as is.
PS. Caipirinha can be made with vodka and also with the other fruits pictured.
Hope you like this bit of information.

2 comments:

  1. I learned something new about the cashew. very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Carrie and all of you that told me you thought this to be interesting. I had tried to explain what a cashew look likes but a picture is worth a thousand words.

    ReplyDelete

Pick a Petal Block of the Month-March

And, so far, I have made a lot of the glorified 9 patch that were available in February and quite a few of the March block, which is quit...