Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Some Quilt Stores in Sydney and Melbourne

Just back home from 3 weeks in Australia. Lots of fun seen friends and places. I had a chance to visit a few quilt stores and was happy with everything I saw.
First Sydney. I went with my friend B. to visit Material Obsession. It was moving day for Kathy and crew. But she found time to visit with us; and even signed my book- Material Obsession 2. If you have not seen her books, you are in for a treat. They are fantastic. I did not see the new store opened. But if you check her blog: materialobsession.typepad.com. You will have a virtual tour of the place. Hopefully, I will see it soon.
From previous experience, the other 3 places that are worth the trip are Logan's Patchwork Fabrics in Leichhardt (take a bus from the CBD on George St.), Quiltsmith in Annandale, and The Remnant Warehouse in Alexandria (take the bus on Elizabeth St). These are all around Sydney. A short bus ride. Give them a call or look them up on the Web and they will give you directions on how to get there from where you are. There are more stores; but some are further away, and some I did not visit yet.
Than it was off to Melbourne. It was cold and rainy there. But I have never seen the place so Green. It was gorgeous; and DH said he was not feeling guilty about taking a longer bath.
The stores that I visited were: GJ's Discount  Fabrics in East Brunswick (Tram 1 or 8 stop 126); Amitie Textiles in Bentleight (Train to Bentleight Station, turn right on Centre Rd and walk a few blocks); and Patchwork on Central Park in Malvern. (Tram 5 to last stop).
Make sure you see the fabrics designed by Aussie designers. One of my favorites is Saffron Craig. You will also see a lot of Japanese fabrics that are outstanding; and all the favorites that are more universal.
Photos coming soon.

1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog when I posted my progress of Orca Bay. I love your work. I am from portuguese origen and live in Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete

Pick a Petal Block of the Month-March

And, so far, I have made a lot of the glorified 9 patch that were available in February and quite a few of the March block, which is quit...