Saturday, August 21, 2010

Wagga Jacket

This is my jacket that was inspired by a French movie about Coco Channel. (Sorry Coco); and my love for Wagga quilts from Australia. The jacket was made using a sweat shirt (aka jumper)as a foundation. I used the sew and flip method. Take a strip sew it to the foundation; flip the seam open. Add another strip to the edge of the previous one until the whole foundation is covered with strips. The jacket is made of 100% wool that I recycled from wool pants. I did wash the wool on my washing machine. I have a front loader and it did not felt the wool as I had wished. I had to clean the lint from my machine many times before the seams were all covered. Vacuum cleaner to the rescue. It will be entered at the Durham Orange Quilt Guild show October 22-24 2010.
Now to answer your question. A "Wagga" is a utility quilt made of wool remnants in Australia, these quilts are wonderful; and the history behind them is very rich. (Google it if you want to know more). I have been collecting wool to make one; but had to do a little detour with the jacket. I learned a lot about sewing with wool and this will be great when I start my Wagga.
;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pick a Petal Block of the Month-March

And, so far, I have made a lot of the glorified 9 patch that were available in February and quite a few of the March block, which is quit...