Monday, May 27, 2013

Fawn by the door

My front door
closer view

Not bothered by the flash.
I came home a couple of days ago and thought I had a package on my front door. When I got closer, this is what I found. This cute fawn sleeping peacefully by the door. I arrived at 3:00 PM and went to bed at 11:00 PM and it was still there. By 3:00 AM when I went to check on it, it was gone and Mom made sure to thank me by eating most of the flowers on the pots by the front door :)
Next day, I saw it again on the same spot around 10:00 AM; but by afternoon it was gone and has not been back. 
DS new all about fawns been born without a smell and that mom leaves them in a safe place and comes back  to feed them. This way she can run away from predators and the baby is also safe. 
I did feel the responsibility to keep it safe. I tried to leave some water next to it; but it never took a drink.
Nothing like a new baby to melt your heart. 
But now back to protect the hostas.

Editing: I saw the fawn with other females around the back yard. Glad to see it is OK.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe that your front stoop is what mamma deer thought was a safe place. Baby does blend in with the brick work. Sweet story.

    ReplyDelete

Pick a Petal Block of the Month-March

And, so far, I have made a lot of the glorified 9 patch that were available in February and quite a few of the March block, which is quit...