Sunday, November 16, 2014

Scrappy Woven Lattice Block

This is how I work on a project that is very scrappy.
For this 10 inches block, I need:
Print fabric cut into: 4 - 2.5" X 6.5" rectangles
4 - 2.5" squares
(In this case I have 2 different prints. So, I cut 2 of each shape in each color.)
Background fabric: 9 - 2.5" squares

First, I cut the required pieces and keep them together (2 rectangles, 2 squares, and 4 background squares per unit.)
Time to decide on the block lay out.
I put the pieces on a large ruler next to my sewing machine, when I like the lay out, I  sew the units together.


I keep the units attached so they don't get lost in the "mess."
 I have all 4 units needed for 1 block attached in a line.

Next, they are separated and back to the ruler in the way I need to complete the block.
Starting with a partial seam, I attached the center square to one of the units, than moving counter clock wise, I attached all the units, finishing the partial seam last.

Finally, I have a few blocks together, just to check if it is going well.
I do an assembly line process for each of the steps above; and try to see how many I can sew without having to stop and cut the thread.
Even on a block like this one that the center square is added as a partial seam, I can assembly line them without having to cut a lot of the threads.

2 comments:

  1. It is interesting to see the woven design the blocks make even with a scrappy look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do that too. I like to plan the order that I sew the blocks in so that I don't have to cut threads. And then I use leaders and enders when I get to parts where I have no choice but to cut. Nice blocks!

    ReplyDelete

I'll do my best to answer all comments. Thank you

16 Patch Star

This block was made using all the fabrics available for a challenge. It is 12.5 inches unfinished. The small squares are cut at 2 inches ...